Thursday, June 10, 2010

Gold or Garbage

The other day my hormones were a little wacked. At least that's where I would like to place the blame for the following:

We were in the Costco parking lot, walking into the store, when Madeline accidentally stepped on the back of Raleigh's flip flop. Raleigh started freaking out, acting like her world was crashing down, and I said, "Why don't you just smash her face on the pavement and see how bloody it gets?"

Then she and Madeline both looked at me like this:


And after a good long pause, I was like, "You know I wouldn't really want you to do that, right?"

I think they were both unsure for at least the next 20 minutes, and we had sparkling behavior from both of them. But they were a little afraid of me.

The next day I made up for it. They were in the other room (all three), playing dress-up and having a "fancy ball," and I knew they wouldn't want to come eat lunch when I asked them. So I got out an index card and sent them a "special invitation" to a "royal luncheon at 11:45 am" after they had cleaned up their "royal mess." Unfortunately, the royal cook ran a little late and I was called names like "servant" and so forth, but their mess was cleaned up, and the fancy ladies couldn't care less about what I served for the luncheon. The ham sandwiches, carrots, and grapes never tasted better!

As I remember reading on my friend Ashley's blog: "Are my words gold or garbage?" when I speak to my children. Obviously, a little of both. Just working to keep more gold in our house this summer!

7 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I was laughing so hard at the first response!! Classic. Sometimes I want to say that to the kids I watch. Ooooh boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dionne, We are having a Rivergrove 3rd Ward Reunion and I would love to send you an invitation. Email me at wmtalbert@gmail.com
    Wendy Talbert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I just laughed my face off! Tears and all. I am glad y'all live in Georgia now but I so wish it was closer. Oh man! Still laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made me laugh so hard. You know, the kind where you don't expect you're going to laugh and then you spit . . . anyways, too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. H aha ha- that was hilarious! I love that photo of Raleigh- hil-ar-i-ous! I wish I were there at that pool with you! Loved the six flags reminiscing too- wow- that brought back ALOT of memories! Good times, good times. Were you talking about Rudebega?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny - you got it - Rutebega himself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome Dionne! Both your gold and garbage words. :)

    ReplyDelete