Friday, October 3, 2008

Onions . . . mmm!

I guess I should apologize right now to Dallas, my neighbors, anyone on the street who has to be near my BREATH right now because I am just loving ONIONS lately.  MM mm, yeah.  I made this fresh guacamole (which included minced ONIONS) the other day to put on top of our chicken tacos w/ corn tortillas, and it is (WAS) basically to-die-for.  I sauteed some red & yellow peppers with ONION to add to the mix, and it was so yummy.  Can I just say that I LOVE ONIONS right now???

Here's a recipe for fresh guac that will make your family love you and you will love yourself for making it.  (Thanks, Amy, for the basic recipe.  The proportions are my own):

Fresh Guacamole
3 ripe, pitted avocados, mashed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8-1/4 cup white or yellow onion, finely chopped
Heaping handful of chopped fresh cilantro
One fresh garden tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
Lots of yummy kosher salt

Next, you've gotta try this recipe (thank you, Rebecca) for chicken tacos from Allrecipes.com.  It is DREAMY.  We love to use corn tortillas as-of-late, and Rebecca's advice for tortilla-prep has revolutionized our dinners!  Here's what she does:

Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray, and place six tortillas on the pan in a single layer.  (This is where I would jump in and add a sprinkling of kosher salt on each tortilla.)  Then broil in the oven on each side for about five minutes until crisp and bubbly.  Enjoy!

Also, be sure to serve with sauteed peppers & ONIONS, shredded monterey jack, fresh garden tomatoes, and shredded lettuce!

Thank you, and pardon my breath.



9 comments:

  1. Can you just come cook for me...Rikki too. I used to love making yummy stuff like this but the passion is gone...so sad! What I want right now is a big bowl of cauliflower soup with cheese sprinkled on top and a big chunk of crusty whole grain bread to dunk in the soup! AAAAHHH! I wish it was colder outside! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's with all the big, bolded words, wierdo?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no no no, i'm not! just asking a question!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always make the best food! You are an awesome cook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, that's what happened to you- your computer died!!! I just read all your blogs that I haven't had time to read and they are sooo funny!! I can totally hear you talking in them- it's so cute! I love it and miss you so much! You make my heart happy!! Love you D.P. and your cute little girls too! ha ha ha ha! (machine gun style!) Do you remember Geoff Edwards? He asked me if I still had my justy? Doesn't he wish? That good ol' trusty justy- didn't we just have the BEST cars at mcIntrash? Ben's sister Lara & her husband Greg just moved to PTC-weird- but cool! SHe's going to dig up some dirt on us girls! :0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I dont think that I have bought an onion since Brian and I have been married! It is such an aquired taste! Go you with the onions! Im just glad its Dallas who has to kiss you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks, shannon! I'll take that as a compliment that I have refined my taste . . .

    ReplyDelete