Thursday, July 7, 2011

Underwear Thursday

We recently moved into a little rental cottage across town. It is cute and quaint and feels like a vacation home. We love it. A few days after we moved in, I noticed that the lady in the house next door hangs her laundry out to dry.

How cute and quaint! And economical.

I told the girls, "At least they don't hang their underwear out to dry."

But on Thursday . . .

I was aghast to see seven pairs of billowing white underwear hanging from the line, right outside our kitchen window! I went around the house muttering loudly, "Oh my gosh! . . . Oh my gosh!" I think I even called my mom.

Then it started happening every Thursday. A predictable laundry ritual.

Seven pairs of white-y tight-ies in a row, sharing clothespins with each other while catching my attention every time I passed the window.

At first I dreaded the weekly visits from the underwear fairy, but now the girls and I look forward to Thursdays with a mixture of anticipation and dread. And each Thursday when the time comes, we shout to each other, "It's the UNDERWEAR!" and everyone runs for a window.

Today I told the girls that we need to start a tradition every time the underwear comes out. It is a little weekly celebration of sorts.

Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. That made me laugh!! Maybe since every Thursday, the white underwear comes out, you could do something that has to do with the color white. Maybe eat marshmallows, or rice, or ice cream, or everyone could wear something white on Thursdays.

    You will think of something fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dance around with undies on your head while doing a war dance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess beat me to it with the best idea. But you could make it a tradition to leave the house on Thursdays when they come out and do something fun like go get ice cream or lunch or shop. With the idea being to avoid and never see the "UNMENCHUNABLES". Then some day years from now you will be out with the girls and their kids doing whatever the tradition is and someone will say what started this anyway and then comes a story. Good luck "Uncle Bob"

    ReplyDelete