Saturday, May 9, 2009

Isn't She Lovely? Isn't She Wonderful?

Last month when my mom was visiting Utah, we had some much-needed girl time at Dear Lizzie, our favorite Alpine boutique.  As we were wandering through girly-land, our conversation turned inevitably to family - and the little kiddos from which we were taking a break.

That's how it goes.  We are mothers.

While I admired a tiny wire birdcage placed atop a high shelf, I remembered an idea I'd had a few years back when our family's youngest sibling, Rikki, graduated and left for college.  It never came into fruition, and I thought of it again a couple of years later when she got married.

I wanted to buy my mom a birdcage, a little wire one like I saw in the store.  And I wanted to put a little nest in the bottom - empty, of course.  And I wanted to prop the door open and hang a little sign on it that said, "You taught us how to fly," or something tender about her empty nest.  (Of course, the sentiments would be for both of my parents, but more especially to my mother.)

I told my mom about my idea, and she started crying right there in the store!  I got teary, too, so we cruised around acting like we were shopping for a few minutes so we could collect ourselves.  

But from a mother to a mother, I think I can say with all my heart, "Thank you for what you've done for me.  Thank you for loving me and teaching me and praying for me.  Thank you for your sacrifice and your compassion.  Thank you for being the kind of woman I want to emulate.  I love you, Mom!"

That's how it goes.  We are mothers.


6 comments:

  1. awww. i got chills reading that. i miss your mom. she is truly an amazing lady. I need to come visit you and rikki next time i'm in Utah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Your mom is great! I miss my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is lovely and she is wonderful... but so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trina,
    I miss your mom too! I was having grandmother withdrawals last night. I think I'll write a post about grandmothers now.

    Jessi- Happy Mother's Day! I think you are wonderful!

    Stephanie- You DO need to come visit me! But I don't live in Utah anymore; I live in Virginia Beach!! But hey- we have lots of room, so you can still come!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dionne, I teared up too. When you and mom or anyone in the family cries or just mentions that they cried once in life, I start to tear up. I miss you. This was lovely. She did teach us to fly! We have the best mom ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rik is right. You guys have the best mom ever....ummmmm- don't tell my mom I said that.

    ReplyDelete