Monday, November 17, 2008

New Kids on the Block Concert

I don't know if this concert is necessarily blog-worthy, but we had an interesting night!  It was Lisa's 50th, and Allana (Dallas' cousin) bought six tickets to go see the New Kids show, so all of the Matthews girls went for a girls night out.  It was me, Shayla, Meridith, Lisa, and Allana.

You may not remember this about me, but when I was little, I was a HUGE NKOTB fan.  (See, I even use their initials like we're on a first-name basis.)  I collected their trading cards and pins, had their posters, went to their concert in 5th grade (Yeah, it's been twenty years.  Literally.)  Luckily, the whole infatuation died down, and when Allana invited us, it felt like more of a joke than anything.  Little did I know that New Kids on the Block has a SERIOUS following of hysterical fans.  And they have a new album- did not know that either.  And they have a really BAD opening act, whose name will go unmentioned because she is NOT worth mentioning.  Although their second opening act was Natasha Bedingfield, who is a DOLL.  I loved her.  Too bad it was too loud to really hear her music.

I have to say that they really built up the anticipation before they came onstage, and I think I was screaming like I did back in the 5th grade!  (Only this time my mom and Nate weren't there.  Poo.)  I didn't brush up on any of the songs beforehand, but they all came back to memory when the New Kids started singing!  It was hilarious!  I was in a constant cycle of screaming like a die-hard fan, laughing at the stupidity of it all, plugging my ears from near-deafness, and covering my eyes when they threw in their Michael Jackson moves.  It was a blast.  But funny enough, we ended up leaving a little early because it started getting pretty suggestive and inappropriate.  Not the squeaky-clean boy band I remember.  And I stayed up til 2:00 am telling Dallas all about it.  (Not a good way to prepare for the Sabbath.)  But we were glad we could take Lisa out for her crazy 50th!)  Happy Birthday!

Oh.  How could I forget?  We sat on like row 38 on the floor- really good seats.  But even better: in the middle of the show, they came up out of the floor RIGHT next to us.  We were like 8 or 10 people away.  So close that I made EYE CONTACT with them.  And then the security guards started roping off a path for them to run back up onto the stage, and we were on the front row for that and got to touch their hands as they ran by!  Hilarious.  I think I must be a little infatuated still because I'm going on and on about this.  ha ha ha  Check out the video.  It was fun.  Thanks, Allana!



5 comments:

  1. It's true, a good time was had by all!! Thanks girls for the fun night before my birthday outing.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you guys had fun. I am sad i missed the Natasha Bedingfield part of the concert. She is one of my FAVORITE artists. I love her songs! i think it's great that you were a New Kids on the Block fan back in the day. I remember when Bart got their tape for christmas back in like 1989.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember your crush on them! That's totally funny that you were able to re-live a childhood fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is HILARIOUS! I had no idea you were such a huge fan! :)

    ReplyDelete