Monday, March 16, 2009

The Secret's in the Sauce

This recipe is a concoction in and of itself, derived from other favorite recipes and combined into one.  (And lets not forget my two secret ingredients: a dash of cayenne and a pinch of nutmeg.  There.  I revealed the secret!)  

For a big batch . . .
Saute on med/hi heat for 8 min the following:
3 Tbs. butter
4-6 oz. shaved deli honey ham, minced (weird, I know, but this is my recipe, and I don't want pancetta or bacon in it.  Plus, IT IS GOOOOD.)
1 onion, minced
1 stalk celery, minced
1 carrot, peeled and minced
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2-1 tsp. salt
pinch of nutmeg

Add, and saute for one minute:
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. tomato paste (Don't you hate to open a can and not use the whole thing?  Whatever is left over, I just plop little tablespoon-fulls onto a sheet of wax paper, freeze, and then store in a freezer baggy in the freezer.)

Deglaze for about a minute with:
1/4-1/2 c. beef broth

Add, and simmer for hours and hours and hours (at least a 1/2 hour):
2 large cans of crushed tomatoes (or, if I'm trying to please picky tomato eaters, I puree the tomatoes in a blender before adding)
Basil, to taste

Just before serving, add:
1/2 c. heavy cream
1/4-1/2 c. grated parmesan

I have served this over thin spaghetti, farfalle, and penne.  Make sure you get Barilla- it's the best!!  Then make loud "MMMmm" sounds while you eat every bite!  Steamed broccoli on the side is a favorite, too.



2 comments:

  1. It's so good, she just had to eat it with a measuring spoon! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did you write on the picture like that? Looks so professional- cool!

    ReplyDelete