Thursday, July 2, 2009

Today

Thanks to my fabulous new couponing skills, we enjoyed mini-Drumsticks at Chic Beach today.  I guess that's the "local" name for East Beach.  It was named after a girl named Chic Something-or-Other who ran a little food stand down by the beach.  I know this because I read it in the newspaper today.  I love the newspaper.
How can you get a face like this within the first few licks of your ice cream cone?  Well, I guess it was a little melty.  Nothing like cleaning your face with saltwater from the ocean . . . or should I say the Chesapeake Bay.
MMMMmmmm.  We went with a fun group of girls/moms and their kids.  Madeline was having a little trouble with people stepping on her towel.  She said later, "I was angry in my heart, but I didn't let the angry come out of my heart."  I asked her, "How did you not let the angry come out of your heart?"  And she said, "Cuz I new that I shouldn't let the madness come out.  It's really bad manners."  I was like, "Yeah, you're right, Madeline.  That's called patience."

And here's the bearded woman herself.

It's been a great day to kick off our 4th of July weekend, one of my all-time favorite holidays.  This is where we'll be on the 4th.  Now is that something to get excited about, or what???

Tonight the girls lay wide-eyed in bed while I captivated them with my profoundly inaccurate, but well-intended telling of the American Revolution.  Their bedroom became a holy place as we talked of pride for our forbears and gratitude for our freedoms.  We put our hands to our hearts as I taught them how to show respect for our flag.  Madeline was bursting with questions: 

In reference to the War: "Did they get to go to church on Sunday?"  "Where did the kids go when [Martha] went to go visit her husband in the war?"  "Did they see the flag when all of the dust came falling to the ground?"

In reference to festivities: "Do fireworks burn your hands?"

Then I sang all of the patriotic songs in our hymnbook to them, and I hope all of our neighbors heard us.  I want to make sure EVERYONE around here is ready for the 4th.  

6 comments:

  1. How funny and cute are their questions. I have those same questions Dionne. How did you answer them? Hope you have a really fun 4th of July!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous of your plans. And I LOVE Madeline's control of her anger. How magnanimous of her! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that you're so patriotic and teaching the girls those same values! What an inspiration you are! We'll be missing you for sure, but it looks like you have some REALLY FUN plans...can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of Madeline for using her good manners and not letting her angry out of her heart. I love that story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Madeline just made my little heart melt! She is so cute, and you have taught her so well. We are missing you on our 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok... so jealous that you live by the beach. can we come visit?

    ReplyDelete