Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dads and Fathers

There are fathers - providers, protectors, well-respected, and honored.  And there are dads - playful, easygoing, caring, and warm.  I've been lucky to have both a father AND a dad - the best of both worlds.  The longer I live, the more I realize how COOL my parents are (and were).

The earliest memory I have of my dad is riding on the back of his motorcycle with him when we lived in Utah (and realizing he was man enough to not only give me a good ride, but also to not go too fast if I was scared.)  I was about four years old. 

And the next memories I have are of playing baseball with him in Florida, both at the ball field and in our backyard at home.  I remember practicing over and over to learn how to catch a pop fly.  I was too scared and didn't want to watch the ball coming at my face, and he taught me how to keep my eyes open and on the ball.  And I remember when I finally started catching well!  We got so excited together.

One time when we lived in Florida, we were taking one of our signature family bike rides around the block.  My dad was popping wheelies on his ten-speed with Jess riding in the infant seat on the back.  Many of you know what happened . . . maybe that's why Jess is the way he is!!  (Just kidding, Jess.  But I remember the neighbors said they could hear your crying from the other side of the block!)

My parents were cool enough to work hard AND play hard.  Depending on what frame of mind I am in, I either remember our family ALWAYS working, or ALWAYS playing.  When we were ALWAYS working, my dad was there as Commander-in-Chief:  

We were picking up rocks on our new property in Georgia.  One hundred at a time.  While whining about the heat and how all of our friends got to play and we didn't.  

We were working to put in our yard, or build swing sets (my dad built one at every house we've lived in) and gardens.  We were constantly weeding, mowing, watering, mulching, picking up branches, digging, and sweating.  And if we weren't outside working with my dad, we were inside working with my mom!

We planted 1,000 pine trees from little seedlings around the perimeter of our second house in Georgia.  Do you know how LONG that took??  And then we had to water them - a bucket of water for each tree, if I remember correctly, which we would fill up at the shop door at the back of the house, drive it over to the trees on the back of the golf cart, and repeat 999 times.  I must admit that I probably only repeated it 333 times and used one bucket of water per THREE trees.  Terrible, I know.  But most of our Saturdays and summer mornings were spent working in the yard half the day (or so it seemed).

When we were PLAYING, my dad was right there in the action, too.  Maybe that's why I have such fun brothers - I think they got it from him.  He is an absolute GOOF!  Anyone who knows him well knows that he is ALWAYS joking.  But his sense of humor can be hard to catch onto if you don't know him (or any other Purdy's) very well.  But when you catch on, he is so much fun!  He always makes me laugh, and it is HILARIOUS to make HIM laugh hard.

We spent our playtime at the ballpark, in our backyard, at the lake, and having LOTS and LOTS of BIG parties at our house.  My parents seemed to always be inviting people over for parties and dessert.  It made our house seem like the "fun" house, despite all of the "drudgery!"  And they would let us invite over 20 friends at a time if we wanted to.  I have so many memories of a packed basement and dance parties or a full yard of night games.  Aren't they cool parents??

Our best times were spent at the lake after long weeks of hard work.  Hours and hours of learning and mastering water sports!  My dad says that the best "investment" he made was on a boat.  He loved to see us having fun together and encouraging each other in learning how to do our tricks on the water.

When we would take family trips, my dad was the kind who liked to stop and see everything AT or ON THE WAY to our destination.  Our trips were laid-back and never hurried.  Whenever we stopped to get gas, we would all follow him into the store for candy and a drink!  And we'd eat at restaurants - not out of a cooler!  It was the best.

I think one of the best gifts my parents have given me is that of a FULL CHILDHOOD that I look back upon with fondness and gratitude.  One of my dad's biggest goals was to make memories for his children.  I think he exceeded that goal.  His old adage was "don't be afraid to try new and different things," and all of us kids are better for it.  

All of my pictures of me and my dad together are packed away in storage, but here are some of him with the grandkids:
Cousins Kaiya and Raleigh tackle "Captain Bo Bo" or "Grandpa Bear," as they call him.
Kensington gets a riding lesson.
Madeline gets a squeeze.

One of my most lasting memories with my dad is of our "walks" together.  Every Sunday we would take a walk as a family down to the end of the street and back.  We still do this when we get together.  When we get to the end of the street, we have to touch the mailbox there before returning back.

When I was a junior in high school and had mono for EVER (like over a year), my dad was worried about my health.  So we went on walks together.  First I could only make it to the end of OUR driveway and back.  Then it was to the end of our OTHER driveway.  Then halfway down the road, and then further and further.  It took many weeks and months, but I knew in those walks that my dad loved me.  No matter what was going on in my life, I had a protective father and caring dad.

On one particular walk, after a difficult breakup with a certain boyfriend, he gave me some counsel that I still remember to this day.  He never wanted to give his opinion or advice too readily, fearing that he was imposing on my opportunity to make my own choices, but at that young age, I really just wanted to know what he thought.  I still do.

I love you, Dad, and hope you have a wonderful Father's Day!  From your little grown-up girl!

Here's the last walk we took in Georgia two months ago.  Our family has grown, and there were lots of people missing (like Nate, April, Calvin, Jess, Dannii, Kevin, and Rikki.)

Don't the three of them look tough??  I think so.  David, is that a mowhawk in your hair?  Oh yeah, it is!  Slightly crooked as I remember!
Had to throw this picture in.  Madeline and Choobs go fishing with their dad, my dad, and their cousin Dade.  Still making memories . . .

1 comment:

  1. That was a very sweet tribute. You do have a wonderful Dad. I feel so blessed to be a Purdy too.

    ReplyDelete